Amazing Metabolism-Boosting Chocolate Mug Cake

So, I’ve been trying to get back into shape after having a baby. Fun, right?

Pair that with the fact that it’s been pretty much the coldest, darkest Winter ever this year, AND the fact that whenever I have kids at home (which I do all the time now) I seem to get ridiculous violent cravings for sweets, and you’ve got a pretty ugly situation. On my gut.

It would probably be funnier if I said “On my thighs”, but I’m more of a belly fat kinda girl.

Well. Let me tell you something. If you’re a belly fat kinda girl like me, then apparently the thing you should be eating to boost your metabolism is lots of protein and cinnamon, to balance your blood sugar.

So I set out to create this recipe that would give me the things I need: It had to be full of lots of good nutritious things, it had to have no bad things in it to make me feel guilty, it had to make me think I’d just pigged out on chocolate cake, it had to be easy, and it had to be made without obscure health food type ingredients that I don’t already have around usually because I mostly don’t leave the house.

So here’s what you need to make my new favorite thing ever.

No flour, no white sugar. Just real normal foods.

Here’s what you do!

Mash the banana in the mug.

Mix in:

-1 egg
-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
-2 tablespoons of applesauce
-about 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon
-about a tablespoon of honey for extra sweetness. Or more if you really need it that day.

Pop it in the microwave for 4.5 minutes.

Ta-da! Just look at that warm , gooey chocolateyness! It sounds crazy, but it really does have the texture of the most moist and delicious cake you’ve ever had. You don’t even miss the flour. You won’t be hit by that POW of sugar right away, but after a few bites, your taste buds adjust and then you can’t get enough, especially if you’re a chocoholic like me.

You technically can turn the cake out onto a plate if you want…

I never quite mix the banana in properly though, so I always just leave it in the mug.

There are technically ways that you could make this into a lower calorie cake (it’s probably about 250 calories) , but that’s not the point of this. It’s about giving your body lots of good nutrients so it can function at its highest level with lots of protein to keep you feeling full and satisfied. And no, bananas aren’t really fattening, that’s an old wives tale. Because there’s no white sugar, or artificial sweeteners, you actually get to feel satisfied after eating this instead of wanting more and more like you do with “real” sweets.

I’ve been having this every day after lunch and by the time my afternoon snack time rolls around, I haven’t even been hungry and I’ve been able to make it all the way until dinner time. Honestly, I still can’t convince myself that I haven’t eaten a whole chocolate cake even though I know it’s all good stuff. I still get that “chocolate cake feeling”, you know? Only without the sugar and carbs overload feeling. But I still catch myself feeling a twinge of guilt!

The fact that I’ve lost about 10 lbs in the last few weeks eating chocolate cake everyday is pretty exciting. It’s like my own personal comfort food loop hole!

If you’re trying to stick to eating healthy foods that make you feel good and energized, but can’t seem to shake that overwhelming need for choooooocolate, give it a try! :)

Comments

Does it taste like banana or chocolate cake? Usually when I add a banana to anything it tastes like banana more than the other ingredients.

3. Deb says

Eating it right now. Hope it cures my chocolate/sugar cravings too. Will try 4 minutes next time and maybe add a small amt of unsw coconut. Thanks!!

What can we replace the apple sauce with? Or can we simply remove it from this recipe coz we dont get it easily in our town.

Just wanted to thank you again for this recipe. We had new friends stay with us for the weekend. One member eats gluten free/dairy free so we were trying to come up with a dessert that we could all enjoy. I remembered this idea. We gave the recipe to the 13 year olds, and they made them for all of us. It was fun for them to work together, we compared the different outcomes (we think it’s best with very ripe bananas…more custardy) and we could all enjoy the dessert. Thanks for the great treat!

6. Ashley says

I just made this! It is WAY to big for just me to eat!! and I admit I made a “healthy” cake super unhealthy by adding two scoops of vanilla ice cream as I ate it, but it was very bland on its own. It was pretty good for a mug cake though.

7. Betty says

Had all veggie lunch and this sounded soooo good. Tried it but had to make a couple of adjustments due to not having applesauce. Had one apple left in the crisper so I peeled and diced a few small slices and nuked that in the mug first. Only had frozen banana (awaiting a smoothie). After thawing and mixing all ingredients really well with a fork (down in the bottom of my sink so the powder wouldn’t spray all over), I only microwaved mine for 80 sec., stopped and added 1 quartered marshmallow on top and cooked another 40 sec. Read the comment about using peanut butter in place of applesauce and will try that next since everyone knows chocolate and peanut butter go together!! By the way, this is really good! Thank you!! PS One marshmallow only has 25 calories

• Courtenay says

Love the marshmallow idea! Not exactly healthy, but not terrible either and a great way to make it feel extra treat-y!

• Courtenay says

You can sub lots of things, depending on your preferences! More applesauce, some greek yogurt, peanut butter, a bit of almond milk, are a few ideas that come to mind right away. Experiment and let us know what you come up with!

8. Sabrina W says

Just made it…not bad but found it a bit too cinnamon-e and not sweet enough. BTW, I made it with yogurt as I didn’t have applessauce.

• Courtenay says

The applesauce does add a good bit of sweetness to it for sure! Of course, the less sugar you have it in, the better, but you do what your taste buds need you to do that day! None of it is really “bad” at all anyway! Cinnamon is great for regulating blood sugar too, but you can leave it out. It won’t hurt anyone. :)