Keep your faucets shiny and free from water spots for longer with this little trick!

One easy trick to keep your faucets extra shiny and free from water spots for longer in between cleanings! Who wouldn't want that?

I’ve been watching way too much Downton Abbey on Netflix lately. I’ll admit that when I was trying this trick out, I felt just a little bit like some kind of clever old-fashioned butler who had all the best tricks up my sleeve for keeping things in tip-top shape. I also felt a little ridiculous, because, well you’ll see.

So here’s how things started out:

It’s a little hard to tell, but trust me when I say that my bathroom is less than spotless these days. I’m still playing the “new baby” card, and I will be for a little while yet. :)

On a side note, here’s how the faucet is actually supposed to look:

Chris recently thought there may have been a leak in the sink somewhere (which, it turned out, there wasn’t), so he took everything apart and when he put the faucet back on, the handles were backwards. I told him just to leave it, as we definitely have bigger fish to fry. Stay tuned for that!

So  anyway, if the handles look weird and backwards to you, it’s because they are!

Back to the trick.

I started out by cleaning the faucet up nicely, and by nicely I mean I cleaned it at all. Because that’s just not something that happens too regularly around here lately. I mostly do the toilets and leave the other fixtures to fend for themselves. But I cleaned them for you and for the good of all of blogkind and now I’m most definitely glad that I did.

When I was done I took a sheet of wax paper and rubbed it over all the chrome. This is where I felt ridiculous, because paper just doesn’t seem like something that you should be polishing with. Rubbing wax paper on things is just the kind of weird thing that gets me made fun of around here. I almost… almost felt embarrassed about trying this one out, even though no one was there to see me. You know what though? It really did make the clean-ness stick! A few days later I checked back and despite all the handwashing and toothbrushing that goes on here, it was still in tip top shape!

So there you go! This is one of those old wives tales that really works! And now I can spend even less time cleaning the bathroom… if that’s possible! :)

P.S. This method is best on chrome finishes as other finishes may have coatings on them that can be worn off if you rub them with the wax paper. Luckily, chrome fixtures are probably the only ones you really need to worry about water spots on anyway. I just wanted you to know, just in case!

Comments

First of all,LOVE the Downton Abbey reference! Just the mention of that how makes me smile. Second, great tip! I make stick a roll of wax paper in my cleaning caddy!

This sounds like a great tip! I’m going to try it right now. Funny thing, I found your tip when I took a little break from cleaning bathrooms to take a peek at Pinterest! Definitely pinning this! :)

Just to let you know that, through the glory of Facebook, this blog has reached Barbados. Thanks so much for this tip…has come in very handy. Have now bookmarked this website for future info.

Hmmm …. this is much more practical than my idea. Which is turning the water off so no one can use the sink. I may need to rethink that strategy and finally get the plumber here to fix that sink. We messed up our faucet install too. Only thing, our mess up resulted in a few leaks … under the sink!

Pinning for sure!

:) Linda

• Courtenay says

Ha! It took us quite awhile to actually hook this faucet up too! It sure was shiny then! I think I like it better now that we can actually wash our hands in the bathroom though. :)

• Courtenay says

I know how you feel! I often see tips using freezer paper, but that’s not sold here in Canada either!

5. Jackie says

Great idea! I wonder how this wold work on other things like a stainless steel frig…..? I’m almost sorry I got stainless steel appliances. They are always spotty and blotchy. I anyone has tip for this please let me know :)

• Jackie says

Thank you so much for the link Courtenay! I didn’t have any furniture polish on had and was anxious to try this so for now I tried the oil I had on hand, Peanut oil…. lol WOW! What a difference! I can not believe how well this worked. I was going around polishing every piece of stainless steel in the kitchen! :D I will be sure to pick up some of the polish next time I’m at the store. even though it is pretty much polished off, I’m worried about the oil getting sticky… after some time. Thanks Again! :D

Funny to read about this since it brings me back to my retail years. In the store we always rubbed waxed paper onto the clothing racks so the hangers would glide along them smoothly. I would guess that using a little bit of car wax would work just as well. It’s great idea to wax your chrome to help the water to run off & keep things spot-free.

Trackbacks

1. […] Wax Paper & Water Spots – Rub a faucet with waxed paper to prevent those pesky finger prints and water spots. This is great because I used to use stainless steel cleaner and it seemed as soon as I had wiped it down I would need to wash my hands and it would have water spots and prints almost immediately. More… […]