Peeling a whole head of garlic in just seconds! Really!

One simple trick that allows you to peel a whole head of garlic in under a minute! Everyone should know about this!
OK, people, listen up. I need to know why this trick has been kept from me for so long and I need to know now! Why don’t we all know this? If you were in the dark about this too, it’s time to see the light. No more peeling garlic with a little knife and getting the skins all stuck under your finger nails and having it take you 47 minutes before you have garlic ready to cook with. Let me just tell you about this. You will be amazed.

My gramma sent me a link to this video from Martha Stewart cooking school the other day and I just had to try it for myself. I didn’t even have garlic on hand because I’ve pretty much given up on having the time and/or energy to cook a real (non-spaghetti or chili-based) meal and then fight my family into eating it lately, so I went to the store and bought a bunch of garlic just to experiment with.

Here’s the video:

Here’s how my experiment went:

Place a full head of garlic into a bowl.

Place another same-sized bowl over top.

Now, hold on to the two sides of the bowl/egg/spaceship that you’ve created and shake the dickens out of it. In Martha’s video she shakes it for about 17 seconds. I personally don’t have that kind of brute force available to me, so it took me a little longer. It was about 3 sets of 15 seconds with breaks in between.

Here’s what happened! Really! It all just kind of fell apart and the skins fell off. Truthfully, there were a few cloves with the skin still on, but the skin was loosened enough that it just popped right off without much effort or added time on the clock.

Ta-da!

Now, who’s got a recipe for me that uses about a million perfectly peeled cloves of garlic?

Comments

Now that is pretty cool! Thanks for the tip and for experimenting for us. I just don’t have 2 bowls the same size. I hope you enjoy your garlic. It’s good for you. :)

I’ve heard of this trick before, with the added step of putting the head of garlic on the counter and giving it a solid THWAK with the heel of your hand. That cuts the shaking down from 45 seconds to about 15, for me … and I’m not a big girl and I have small hands!

I just love this. So much fun to shake the dickens out of a head of garlic, some days. :)

2 slices of Dave’s good seed bread, 1 garden fresh tomato (sliced), 1,000,000 pieces of fresh garlic sliced, mayonnaise. Slather on some mayo, tomato slices and lots of garlic. Enjoy!

Just stick them all in a ziplock baggie and shove it in the freezer. They’ll keep forever that way with no loss of flavour or aroma and be ready whenever you need a few cloves.

5. Paula M. says

I love garlic and use tons of it so this idea appealed to me. The idea of cleaning two bowls didn’t sound good to me,so I used a quart size wide mouth jar instead. It worked like a charm and it didn’t take but 20 or 30 seconds if that. Thanks for sharing the video, you just made my life a little easier.

Awesome tip – I’m pinning and then going to the kitchen to try this!

I would make homemade pesto with the garlic – then freeze in ice cube trays for winter soups and stews!

Julia

I wish I had known this 3 days ago when I did 6 heads for my master tonic! It’s ok, I plan on making another batch in a few days.

Master Tonic, a natural way to stave off colds and flu.

• LoveNeverFails says

Could you tell me how you did the Master Tonic?
      Thank you so much and have a blessed week! :)
      Lidia

Wow! I never see one trick to unpeeled the garlic real quick for twenty years as a Chef. I only knew one is hot water to peel the garlic cloves but it consumed the time. I have some bulbs left and several bowls available. Plan to try this new trick very soon. Wish me good luck.

WOW!! I wish I came across this 2 days ago! I pickled and canned garlic and it took me FOREVERRRR to peel 10 heads of garlic!! I cannot wait to try this!

10. Ms. Dingaling says

Perfect activity for a rainy day . . .use metal bowls like Martha did. Then put on some salsa music and have your kids play their “shakers” in rhythm (getting their pent up energy out, to boot!). After that make and enjoy some garlic chicken soup. Yum!

You can also wrap the head of garlic in a clean kitchen towel and knock it against the countertop a few times – same result. I have also used a tupperware container – put the lid on and shake it a few times.

12. kbpooh2000 says

Look up Emeril’s Garlic Soup…. If you love garlic like I do you will DROOL!I want to make it with my own personal taste, add and omit some things… But the same base recipe! I love to experiment!

Chicken with 20 cloves of Garlic on the Kraft website. We make it all the time, so so good. Even my picky son eats it! The only thing I do different is use Italian dressing instead of Caesar, we don’t care for caesar. I add extra dressing & broth too, it makes a delicious sauce to pour over the chicken! I usually serve it with green beans & mashed potatoes. Next time I’ll have to try the bowl trick!!

This is the best tip ever for garlic! We enjoy garlic in just about everything, and I always add extra to the recipe. When my kids lived at home I would make bulk recipes and freeze them. That way all the garlic got used up and my kitchen time was more efficient. Win-win!
    Have a great day!
    Val @ artsybuildinglady.blogspot.ca

15. Momma Krar says

Forget about the bowls (I would probably end up dropping them), just put a head of garlic into a Tupperware container and shake! I will try a mason jar (as mentioned above) as I am slowly getting rid of the plastic storage containers in our home. Thanks for the reminder of this great tip!

dehydrate them and grind as needed for your own garlic powder… do the same for onions and jalapenos

17. palaeomom says

I often use a recipe “Lemon Lime Garlic Chicken” which uses at least 10 large cloves. The chicken is browned then simmered in the garlic lemon lime sauce. Chives added for serving over rice with the sauce. Add a salad for a great meal.

18. Singh says

Just another tip to peel garlic in less than 5 seconds – place the garlic cloves in the microwave for 5 seconds & the cloves are ready for use the heating does not effect the properties of it. It’s a DIY so I thought if anyone was interested could try it out!

19. Libby says

Why not just put the garlic bulb in to a tupperware box with lid on a shake instead of trying to find 2 identical size bowls….Most people dont have the same sized bowls unless they are used for serving dessert in and one slip and you could drop and smash the bowls so I suggest a plastic container with a lid that will do the trick without taking the risk of breaking something…just a thought

20. emmapal says

I need to ferment a huge jar of garlic for medicinal uses (takes the heat out but keeps it raw). Fill up a 1L or 2L clamp top (Fido) jar with lots of garlic cloves, cover with heavily salted water, and let it sit about a month. Eat the cloves when feeling ill or fighting infections. Kids and livestock will usually accept them after fermented too, whereas raw is too hot!

21. LadyLyric says

I don’t use that much garlic at a time, but I take a clove off of the head, slice off each end then crush with my butcher knife…. Skin comes right off and less chopping for me….

Trackbacks