The New Table’s Big(ish) Christmas Debut

Two things happened to bring you today’s post:

1) I hosted another holiday dinner at my house and once again felt silly that I never take any photos of the fun little table set ups I do because they’re always just really basic, straight-forward, normal stuff. But still, sharing is caring.

2) I got a new camera that I really have no idea how to use, but I somehow managed to take a few OK (and some not-so-OK) pictures while I was playing around.

This table was a little extra special because it was on an actual table and not those folding plastic banquet tables. So that was neat. I was also able to use my Christmas plates that I bought for myself at the end of season last year along with the plates from this amazing china set one of my mother in laws gave me.

The set belonged to her mother and no one else in the family was interested in it, so I was able to put it to good use and it made the table setting a little more meaningful too!

I’ll have to share more about those dishes with you in the future. I’m pretty fascinated with it right now.

This picture turned out pretty blurry, but you get a sense of things.

I always try to keep the middle of the table pretty simple. My family lets me play Martha Stewart on holidays and I don’t want to scare them off by doing anything too over-the-top. I stick with what works for us and that’s usually a table runner, some tea lights, and some other little things scattered about. Also, I think salt and pepper shakers that are a little confusing as to which one’s which and where it comes out are starting to be expected.

I can hardly use this new-fangled camera thing, but somehow I seem to have figured out bokeh. Wait, that’s bokeh, right?

Chris thinks it’s pretty lame that you can see my reflection in this one. I think it’s pretty lame that there’s dust on that ornament after it was only sitting out for a day. It’s neat that you can see the dust that clearly though!

Right?

So there you have it. You’ve now seen my holiday dinner set up, such as it always is, and I feel a little less silly for never sharing them. Thanks for joining me!

Subscribe by email to receive free posts straight to your inbox, or follow along using any (or all!) of the methods below!

Comments

I’m sure you’ll have fun playing with your new camera and figuring out all the amazing things it will do. Your pics are great and I love your table setting. (I have those red and white plates and we always have Christmas crackers!) And I wonder how to take pics of glass ornaments without getting my reflection in them too! Happy New Year to you and yours!

I’ve had my camera for a couple years and still don’t know how to use all the settings. Hopefully you’ll figure it out soon! Lovely table setting.
    Saw you linking at It’s Party Time!
    Debbie :)

Isn’t it wonderful some of your post readers are kind of blind and don’t realize you are in the ornament reflection? And truthfully isn’t it cool how dust photographs as a sprinkling (dusting!!) of snow so it actually looks prettier than a pristine clean ornament? How mistakes actually make the photos prettier?
    I absolutely love both your sets of dishes and how marvelous to be able to have family gathered around your table. I think that is most wonderful! I’m so glad you shared your photos today.
    Gwen

The dust always shows up the clearest {wink}. The table looks very pretty and festive. Great score on the plates from Chris’s side and they after Christmas red ones are cute too. I’m still trying to figure out my camera but it gets a bit easier with time. My guys bought me a tripod for Christmas (well I told them which one to buy that was on sale) and I am looking forward to trying it out. Happy Happy New Year!

Loved your table, simple but beautiful! I don’t like it when there’s so much going on with the centerpiece and extras on the table that it looks like no one would have room to move at the table. Simple is better in my opinion.

I had to laugh at your salt and pepper shaker comment. I have a set of chickens that I leave out most of the year, but then I have a set of leaves that I use Sept – Oct, Pilgrims for November, a Christmas tree and present for December, and a Snowman with a shaker top hat for January. It drives my husband crazy and I think it’s funny. :)

Love that you got a new camera and are so excited to use it! They are fun toys!! I absolutely love your reflection in the ornament and agree that it’s like snow! So festive! Have I even told you how fantastic your table is? I love it, love it!!

Courtenay, The table and decor look great! I wouldn’t have guessed that you just got your camera though, the pictures look really good! What kind of camera and lens are you shooting with?