Gardening Season has officially begun!

I’ve been seeing all these garden posts around blogland the past couple of weeks so I thought I’d throw ours into the mix as well. We may have bitten off a little more than we can chew with this fairly large vegetable garden we dug up last Fall, but it should at least be an interesting learning experience.

While we’re at it, let’s look at some other areas around the property as well, shall we?

This is how the front of our house is looking right now. Oh man, do I ever need to tackle those weeds in the path there. But realistically, I complain about the landscaping around our house way too much. It’s pretty well done and was probably really expensive, even if there aren’t enough blooming plants yet for my taste.

And the side of the house. Same weeds, same pain-in-my-butt landscaping rocks and weed-preventing fabric that doesn’t really work that now I need to rip out so I can actually plant what I want to in there. OK, I’m complaining again. It’s really not that bad.

This is another little free-standing garden near the driveway. It used to have all that rock and fabric too, but I conquered it! And now I can plant anything I want in there! Anything!!

Like some lilies to start with.

We’re experiencing a serious lack of flowering plants around here, especially because our giant lilac just didn’t bloom at all this year. I was so looking forward to that.

Luckily, this pretty new friend of mine decided to make an early appearance.

One day it looked like this.

And the next day…

Kapow! What is this? A tree peony? I don’t even know. Lucky for me the normal (herbaceous?) peonies are about to go too, so I should have plenty of flowers for a few weeks at least.

Here’s our big new garden before the weekend.

And after! OK, it’s not that dramatic, but there are plants in there. You’ll have to trust me on this.

We planted pretty much everything we could get our hands on and we still have more room!

See? That’s a plant.

There’s another plant!

This is a picture of a plant that we hope might actually grow.

Chris built this little retaining wall in one area where we had to dig down to keep it all level. I kind of like it!

So that’s what we’ve got so far. Hopefully within a few weeks things will fill in a little more and I’ll be able to show you something that looks more like a thriving vegetable garden and less like a big brown rectangle.

Hope you liked the little tour anyway!

Comments

It looks like you are off to a good start, Courtenay! You have lots of mature plantings in place, and walkways, and now a veggie garden! Your peonies are beautiful, and I can’t wait to see your veggie garden as it grows!

An organic and chemical free way to get rid of your weeds in the walkway is to use apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle! It really works! xx

It looks kind of ambitious but that’s just my 64 year old body talking. I know it’s going to be great and you have so many good things planted, you’ll have lots of fresh veggies all summer long.

Gretchen

I can’t wait for the day I have the time to do something like this with the kids. I’m amazed at your work. Looking forward to seeing everything grow. Thanks for sharing. I’m stopping by from The Taylor House

Oh I can see it now…your gorgeous garden. I can’t wait to see everything growing. I really enjoyed this inspirational post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party? Hope to see you there!

Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Wow, this is an old post but it’s been a while since i’ve checked in, so it’s my first time seeing the giant garden! Wow, that thing is huge!
    If you are looking for flowering plants here is a list of my faves from my garden:
    Spring: scilla, lilly of the Valley, anemones, tulips and daffodils.
    Summer: daylilies, poppies (both no good as cut-flowers), lillies, lavender, masterwort (terrible name, super cute and long lasting flower), gladiolus, shooting star, dianthus.
    Fall: Blanket Flowers, fall anemone’s.
    Plus, I love my hostas and ferns.
    Hope that gives you a few ideas!
    -Amie

Spring: scilla, lilly of the Valley, anemones, tulips and daffodils.
    Fall: Blanket Flowers, fall anemone’s.
    Plus, I love my hostas and ferns.
    Hope that gives you a few ideas!
    -Amie

Our mission is to start with our clients’ needs and turn them into a shared vision, and turn that shared vision into a landscape – a landscaping northern beaches which enhances the home it surrounds, which can bring the outside and the inside together, or which can bring a use and a vitality to a sterile piece of land. Nothing excites us more than bringing fun and function to a baron space, or opening up the home to the joys of the outdoors. For more detail’s about landscaping northern beaches contact with harrisons landscaping.