I made three-quarters of a place mat, then I got bored.

I had a great idea. I really love those round rattan place mats that everyone has, but I sometimes have pretty large groups for dinner, so I would want to get about 10 or 12. With the cost of them, it just didn’t seem like the smartest investment right now.

I started thinking about other natural materials that I could use to get a similar look. And guess what I came up with. Twine of course!

Well, I started by braiding some long pieces and then twisting, hot glueing, and of course burning my fingers repeatedly. So while it looks like it’s mostly twine, it’s actually about half and half twine and glue.

Well, it seemed simple enough. But it took a loooooong time. Like I probably worked on it for about 3 nights. So after that, I wasn’t too excited about making 11 more, and this one wasn’t even big enough yet!

I just left it as it is and now it’s good for adding a little texture to whatever little vignette I’m working on.  Kind of like a twine doily, I guess.

Oh well, it’s still a good idea. Give it a try if you have more patience than I do!

Comments

This is too funny, sorry! We had these when I lived at home, I took for granted how much effort went into them. Your one does look really good, just a shame that so much time goes into them!

I like your twine doily! It looks pretty with your vignette. Maybe you will get lucky and find some already made up on clearance! I like your pretty pink flowered serving set. xx

Your post title made me laugh so hard!!! I’ve done that before as well, started something that wound up being a time sucking nightmare & given up. LOL love your doily, I think you need another 11 – hahaha!

xox

Braiding then glueing… yup, that’s lot’s of work! It could be a nice little project for while you are sitting around in the evenings… I think I’ll give it a shot! Thanks for the instruction, it seems simple now, but I never would have thought of it – and I love the look!

Amie

Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you make running a blog look easy. The whole look of your website is great, well the content material!

6. Karen says

Love your idea. Think I will give it a try. Only I will try braiding and pinning than run it thru the sewing machine to hold together either straight line from center out or zigzag as you make your rounds.

Oooohhhh, I have had THOSE kind of projects too…it is really cute though, who needs more of them when this one looks great by itself!!

Shannon@SewSweetCottage

A twine doily. That is so funny! But it IS a good idea! I wonder if it might be less time consuming if you first braided pieces of twine together and then glued the braids into a placement, kind of like an old-fashioned braided rug? Still time-consuming, I’m sure–but it might be neat!

Thanks for sharing both your twine projects at the Grace at Home party!

Too funny! I am a lot like you. Little patience sometimes. This is a great rainy day project though! I love where yo have it. Thanx for coming to THt!

I did something similar one time, only made a hat for a doll…..I sewed the braiding…if I had used hot glue I’d still have blisters.

You still did a good job!! It was a great idea. And, it’s not a hot glue project (for me anyway) unless I burn myself. :(
    I actually found some nice-looking woven mats at the Dollar Tree a couple of times. It’s the same ones they have at Wal-Mart for $2 and a couple of dollars more than that at Target. They are the round woven type.

12. Chris Hunter says

I made the same thing only used clothesline and sewed it with a zigzag stitch. It went fairly fast and looked great and is sturdy. Maybe with twine colored thread it would be easier!