The “Make it Work” Dining Room

Crazy paint color, peel ‘n stick tile, weird fake wood paneling.

Oh well.

I hate to say it, but it’s not the worst room in the house. By. Far. So none of these issues are going to be resolved any time soon.

Here’s how I make it work, and love the room anyway.

Well, first of all, I’m just really lucky. My great gramma’s furniture looks beautiful anywhere, with anything. Classic antiques can make anything work. Even better if you inherit them.

That weird paint color is kind of a breezy turquoise. You just can’t fight that. I used a turquoise glass thingy  from Value Village and, at least for the Summer, it works. Come Fall, it may just be a bit of a disaster. For now though, it almost sort of looks like I have that paint color there on purpose.

A few little pieces of “art” unpacked from the old house and leaned up on a painted gray dresser. The blue and green from the map work here perfectly.

This is my view from where I sit with my laptop. I love my new banister. Keeping this view clear lets me see what I really love and distracts me from all the imperfections (Ahem, peel ‘n stick flooring).

I added some fresh white cotton curtains from the old house, a chair and a box used as side tables in this corner. I call this “just moved in chic”. OK, I only call it that in my head. But that’s reality. Embrace it.

On the buffet, antique pictures that belonged to Chris’s gramma and a candelabra from mine feel a bit formal. The rooster weather vane keeps it all relevant to the country.

And that’s all it takes to make it work for us for now, and maybe for quite a while.

Even though I know it’s all wrong, I absolutely love it.

Comments

I like the turquoise too!

I have your grey dresser (mine is painted green). Originally white, got it at Sears many, many moons ago.

The ‘antique’ picture is a KopperCraft item from the 70s. I have that too, lol!

Looking good!

S
    xo

it’s all too beautiful for me to talk about. BUT that rooster weather vane, my MOM has the EXACT same one…and I’m looking to steal it…I’m so in love with it…and YOU have one! crazzzzzy!

Love the turquoise!

I don’t think it’s one bit wrong! I love you style cause it’s yours! Your dining set is beautiful and the chairs remind me of my uncle and aunts but their table was round. The blue walls and white accents are lovely and fresh and pretty! And for fall, turqoise and orange go together too. Blessings, Pamela

This is a gorgeous room! I am so impressed by all the wonderful details! It makes me want to see the rest of your house!

Thanks for sharing this at Show & Share! Hope to see you back next week@

Your room is charming. I love the table and chairs. My hubby and I love antiques and started buy them years and years ago at auctions. I will have them as long as we have a home. You are right… classic antiques never go out of style.

It’s all about perspective isn’t it? I’m a Stampin’ Up! demonstrator and we recently released a new designer paper using a color similar to what’s on your walls. When you add in a little mustard yellow and some warm shades of brown, you’d be surprised at how well they look together for the fall! I made a card yesterday with them if you’d like to check it out.

I’m off to look around!